Sunday, October 4, 2009

Africa Benson






Fell off the blog wagon for a little bit, but only because I've been quite busy working on a couple of projects, some of which I can't post just yet. Here is one I worked on in the last month for the writer/designer, Yegwa Ukpo also known as Spaceboy Nigeria. It was a pleasure working with him, and we had a lot to talk about the current state of Nigerian comics and entertainment. He commissioned me to do a T- shirt illustration of his new character, Africa Benson, a scientist and inter-dimensional traveler. I won't say much more than that about the character as you will be able to read more about her in the upcoming months on Yegwa's site and his upcoming comics. Anyway, the moment captured in the illustration depicts Africa's leap through an inter-dimensional warp portal. I wanted an iconic pose with lots of energy and strength. There are also concepts images and iterations it took to lock down her suit and final look. I would have liked to have kept the poncho in the final illustration but the pose would have made it look like a cape, which I didn't want. Let me know what you guys think.

8 comments:

EVCL said...

I like the character design and the pose for the T-shirt. Very energetic.It's intereting to see how Nigerian/African artists in different fields are interacting an bringing a fresh perspective to old themes.

Anonymous said...

Well played sir.

Deocliciano Okssipin Vieira, aka Ochyming said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deocliciano Okssipin Vieira, aka Ochyming said...

Very cool!
Do you consider working as a motion graphic artist instead of games or both?

You model and use After Effects.

Shof Coker said...

Hey Ochyming, thanks. I use after effects for editing and post work, but I've never considered a career in it. Why do you ask?

Deocliciano Okssipin Vieira, aka Ochyming said...

Guess i am projecting my dreams on you, perhaps.

Considering yr. sensibility regarding storytelling, i think you can make a difference.

And yr. modeling styler is very suited for advertisement and TV series animation.

Shof Coker said...

Haha, thanks Ochyming, once again I appreciate the kind words. Actually my main career goal is animation, both for tv and film. I thought you meant the more design related motion graphics.

Lighthouse Pilot said...

How did I miss these?? They're fantastic, Shof! I want this t-shirt and I want it now. I'm immediately going to look for a way to buy it.