Monday, July 28, 2008

Oro Iwin: Iya Korin


This character was actually done in the 100 demons scroll section, but I decided to redo her with better execution and an actual explanation of who she is. She is the 'singing lady' or Iya Korin (in Yoruba), who was cast out of her village somewhere in old Oyo because of an age old transgression; She gave birth to twins, which according to old Yoruba customs meant that the mother had an affair with a man besides her husband. She was cast out of the village into the forest of Irunmale where she roams to this day, singing an agonizingly dolorous tune trying to allay the perpetual screams of her unfortunate children.

5 comments:

art said...

I directly inspired this drawing. heheeh ;)
It looks good Shof!!!

Shobo said...

Nicely done.

I like her elbow and the texture of the skin on her arms, her face is also interesting.

I like the twins just appearing as heads on her shoulders, but I kind of think it'd be even creepier to have them carried on her back (you know the way Nigerian mamas carry their children in wrappers?)

Meat stoffs meng.

Hi ALL!

Shobo said...

*cough* I meant to say Hi Alla..

Shof Coker said...

And I'm guessing you also meant to say 'neat' stoffs meng. And yea I thought about the way Nigerian mamas carry kids on they're backs, but I wanted to save that for another drawing. Thanks for the comments guys.

The pixter pod said...

AAAARGH!! I love your lines!! So beautiful!