Thursday, August 7, 2008

Oro Iwin: Iya Jijo Imo


Here is an Oro Iwin called Iya Jijo Imo, which literally translates to 'Mysterious Lady.' Well, I knew I wanted lots of calabashes and I had a fairly good idea of her pose and the composition, but the masks came from stray lines that I thought were promising.
She is not based on any existing myth or legend, so the story or understanding of her character that I developed rather is built around the conventional nature of a mystery. The masks of course are an obvious symbol for this and the empty/ full calabashes (you never know) are linked to this key aspect of her character. As with all mysteries, she seeks to confound or trick unsuspecting people in order to better understand the nature of humanity, and many over the centuries have fallen prey to her fancies.

6 comments:

Funlola said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
art said...

I am glad to see the finished version of this drawing. I enjoyed watching you drawing it too. It was inspiring for me.
I like how you incorporated the line with the shading. It pulls the composition together really nicely.

art said...

You drawings have a unique style.
I love it!

Robot Turkey Girl said...

I really like where you're going with these stories friendo. I mean the drawings really match up with the stories, which is I suppose what a good Illustrator should do. Only you're not good, you're Goody Goody! lol. But seriously, it's almost like a book or something. I don't know what an Oro Iwin is though :(

Shobo said...

Sweet meng. Love the mask on the right and the stylisation of her face as well.

Also, what's wrong with you boy? Save some for... THE COMPENDIUM!

....

... DUN! DUN! DUNNNNNN!

The pixter pod said...

I love this composition shof! I want to know the stories behind these...