Thursday, January 13, 2011

Ho Fafhrd!! Hist, Gray Mouser!!




I recently read Mike Mignola, Al Williamson and Howard Chaykin's graphic novel adaptation of Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser on a trip to Seattle and loved it! The titular characters' relationship with each other and adventures were quite the swashbuckling ride. The storytelling and art were great and the book jarred my early memories of fantasy adventure comic stories of that nature, like Conan and Thud the Barbarian (having strayed from them recently in my comic reading). Anyway, the images above were for a job test I did late last year and had I read Fafhrd at that time it might have helped visually inspire these images, but I think I did a decent job considering I've never drawn Western fantasy before.

13 comments:

Shobo said...

Wow.

I was going to come here and say something snarky, but Google's word verification is "regect", and I totally forgot what I was going to say.

Qaaim said...

I think you did a wonderful job here. The textures, colors, rendering, and compositions are really dynamic. I think this is a market that you can really tap in to especially if you are having fun drawing like this. You seem to be so keep it up. Nothing but opportunities coming your way.

Shof Coker said...

@Shobo, yes google psychically blocks out tomfoolery now.

@Qaaim, thanks friendo. I did definitely have fun doing them.

Yegwa said...

This is really great. I agree with Qaaim that you should do more of this.

Also, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are really great.

Shof Coker said...

Thanks Yegwa, I'm trying to incorporate this style somewhat with the Jonah stuff I'm doing.

Dudi said...

It's a very fresh style you got here.. KEEP IT GOING KENNETH!

Gavin said...

Very very cool Shof.

Shof Coker said...

Thanks Diego, your moleskine portrait sketches are pretty impressive. Pretty inventive color palette sir.

Thank you kindly, Gavin. I check your blog every other month... there hasn't been an update for a while :(

Gavin said...

The Word-Of-The-Day fell by the way side forever ago.
But as of the new year I've been posting a lot more at my regular one. I think I have 3 or 4 posts up from this month alone now. :)

And I will definitely be keeping it up.

BryaSaurusRex said...

I would definitely recommend Mignola's work on the comic adaptation of Michael Moorcock's Corum. It's really great stuff.

I stumbled upon your blog a while back, I love your character designs, especially Jupiter Jonah. I would love to see more cg with such interesting characters.

Shof Coker said...

Thanks for the kind words BryaSaurusRex, Corum is definitely on my wishlist now. There will be more CG characters on the blog, specifically Jonah stuff so stay tuned and thanks for following my blog sir.

Miles said...

These pieces are especially great! Love em.

Deocliciano Okssipin Vieira, aka Ochyming said...

Amazing!